Farewell

I hate goodbyes.

I've only made half of them tonight and I've got some of the toughest tomorrow morning. Feeling quite sick to my stomach and ready to get this all over with.  I'm bracing myself for the worst kind of heartache... Lord please let it wash over me quickly.

Today we loaded the moving truck. It was pretty emotional. This was my first place alone, and I loved every bit of it. White house, blue shutters, black top driveway good for warming bare feet. It's hard to realize I'm never coming back to it.


I try to keep my mind busy. It prevents me from falling back to that empty place where I know I have to leave. What's that word...denial? Yes. That. 

I picked up my little brother from his farm job this afternoon after grabbing lunch for everyone. I had Levi along in the backseat, and it was awfully quiet.

"So you're really leaving tomorrow." My brother says. Not a question, just a statement. A really heavy statement. He then grabs Levi's feet and whispers "next time I see you, you'll be so big." Aw kid, why don't you just stomp on my heart while you're at it?

I could have cried. I could have wept. But I didn't, and I probably won't until it's all over with. I'm stubborn. 

Then again, saying goodbye to my little brother and everyone else may just bring the waves crashing down without my consent. 

I hate goodbyes.

17 comments:

Mrs. Doc Handsome said...

Ugh, I can feel your pain. Goodbyes are so hard, but goodbyes with a little one are so much worse. It actually feels like a stab in the heart when people you love say goodbye to your child. I hope this move isn't too hard on you. Hugs.

Photina said...

Goodbyes stink! It seems the seasons for goodbyes.

{Amanda} said...

Aww, sweetie. Goodbyes are awful, especially to the ones you truly love & care for. But remember that they will always be there for you, cheering you on during every stage of life! That's the wonderful thing about family :)

I live in Europe right now, so I completely understand what it is like to say goodbye. The last time that I was home, oh goodness, it was hard to leave. But now, I look forward to visits ♥

Smile!

lola said...

Goodbyes totally suck, but you'll find new reasons to love and new memories to create upon arriving at your new place. You'll always miss it, but it does get easier over time!

Honey Bee said...

I hear you. If you didn't get a chance to read it, you should read the guest post I did yesterday for Me and My SoldierMan. It won't make everything better, but it might encourage you a little eensy bit. : ) Hugs!

Nicole said...

Awe :(... I want to cry for you!

Jessica said...

awwww! Good bye are so incredibly hard! =(

Amie said...

Not that it is ever easy to leave family that you love, but on the bright side, we live in a world with webcams, You Tube, telephones, picture messaging, blogs, email, Facebook, and more. Your family won't get as many hugs and kisses but at least they won't have to miss out on little smiles, belly laughs, and thousands and thousands of pictures... as if you needed another reason to take pictures of Tator Tot every day ;)

Julie said...

It really is so hard to say goodbye :(

Carmen said...

I hate goodbyes, they are the most terrible part of life for me. I had a really hard time saying goodbyes when I left my home in Chicago/Milwaukee and leaving my family behind. It's the worst. But just try to remember that once you see them again, it would have been worth the wait. =)

Susan said...

It's really just "see ya' later" hon. While I can't say it won't be difficult, or that the flood of tears will subside overnight...but the advances in technology keep everyone MUCH more connected then "back in the day". It's not the same as being with them every day, but this may be God's way of molding and shaping you as a woman, mother and wife. Humbled to hold you in my prayers. Love you!

Beth said...

I know exactly how you feel. Hang in there!

Maranda said...

Oh honey...my heart goes out to you. I hope everything went okay!

Being an Army Brat I've had to say A LOT of "goodbyes" in my life. Just know that they aren't goodbyes...they are more "see you later." Safe travels!

Jen said...

Thinking of you honey!!! I can't imagine how hard it is to leave your home and your family, but hopefully you can all find lots of ways to stay in touch and see each other as much as possible. Don't be afraid to let it out honey...crying is good for you :-) Sending lots of hugs your way.

Susan said...

I've said a lot of good byes over the years and it never gets any easier. I really wish it would but it doesn't. *Hugs*
~Sue

Charlyn said...

I like what Amanda said.

Just don't say goodbye forever. Move back soon,ok?

xo

Tara O said...

Good-byes stink. End. Of. Subject. I'm glad your next post shows you safely at home. Storms in MO? HMMM..that's home for me. Mom didn't mention storms. Glad you got through them safely