Moved

We are here.

By here I mean planted on my couch in a brand new, beautiful apartment. It still looks like the box monster threw up and bolted. At least the majority of these boxes are empty.

Moving is tough work. Especially when it's moving to another state. My mom, Michael, his best friend, Levi, and I left early two hours behind schedule on Thursday morning. The first day of driving went fairly smooth. We were on the road from 10am to about 7pm, with many breaks in between. (Baby + moving truck = lots of stopping.)

We spent the night at Embassy Suites in Des Moines. If you've ever been to an Embassy Suites, you know they are fantastic. Our room was gigantic and I hear the complimentary breakfast was delicious. (Of course, I didn't make it down in time.) We got it for the high price of 86 bucks. Thank you military discount!!

I wish I had taken out my camera more, but when I finally did, the battery died after only a few photos. These are all in Des Moines, shortly before we hit the road again.





Day two of road trip - not so smooth. Levi was done sitting in the car. He whined, cried, and screamed. Particularly during the tornado nasty rain/wind storm we hit in Missouri. That was freaky. We're driving along, and suddenly the sky is an eery shade of teal and the clouds are hanging real low. My phone rings and Michael asks, "are you ready for this?"

Enter minor freakout.

We ended up pulling over for a few minutes along with the rest of the highway, because the moving truck was literally a sail boat in that weather. The storm seemed endless, and I thought I was going to pee my pants or throw up if we didn't get out of it. So we kept driving... very slowly.

There were a few more of these storms before we made it to Manhattan. Gotta love tornado alley!

Move in went fast, considering we had four guys lugging everything up three flights of stairs in 90 degree weather. Unpacking and organizing? Not so fast. But I really enjoy this part. I love making a place home. Our bank account is not as happy, though. Moving is EXPENSIVE. Oy. We are going to be saving pennies for a while!

Michael is at work now. He should only be working half days for the next two weeks, which would be a wonderful time to adjust if the army decides to play along. Levi is napping, and there's a load in the washer. My mom leaves tomorrow night, hopefully we finish working today so we can start playing. I better get off the computer and go help!

I plan on taking pictures of the apartment once everything has a place. I can't wait to show you our 9 foot ceilings, archways, and floor-length windows.

Feels good to be here! 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you all got down there safe and sound! The road ahead has it's highs and lows but I know you, Handsome and Tater will have a great ride. Each encounter in your daily travels, whether good or bad, will bring you closer together in GOD and as a family... Love :{)

Toni Marie said...

Ohhhh....All I can say is that I love you all! So glad we can keep posted in this way! Give Tator a big grammy kiss from me!

Toni

Nicole said...

ah but that's such a cute picture!

Kasie said...

glad you made it safe & sound.
what a cute little guy!

Lily and Phoebe's Mommy said...

Glad to hear you guys made it fine. Can't wait to see pics of your new place - sounds amazing!

The Bailie Clan said...

good update! glad to hear you're there and nearly all moved in! can't wait to see pix of yer new home! :)

Susan said...

Tater Tot does indeed look like a happy camper!
~Sue
http://armylifeadventures.blogspot.com

D said...

Oy seems to be the understatement of the century! I can't believe that kind of weather! Although one day this week in Oshkosh the ENTIRE city lost power, I was at work so I got to go home early =] HUGE grin lol I'm glad ya'll made it safely to your new home!

Amie said...

I just love Tator Tot's face. He is SO. CUTE. He has such handsome grownup-like features on a coot widdle baby face that is so adowable I hafs to tawk wike dis.

Maranda said...

Awww! I'm so glad you made it! Yes...Missouri weather is INSANE!

I love all the pictures and I can't wait to hear more about your adventures in your new house and state!