Three Weeks

We're three weeks into this deployment and today was the first I wasn't able to speak with Michael. I am having a hard time and I think that missed phone call has everything to do with it. Funny how a 25 minute dose of Michael does me well. 

We miss him. 


Life is so crazy good for so many reasons, but there are times in the midst of joy I look into Levi's face and my heart aches because Michael should be here. He should be here experiencing all this good with us.

When Michael calls each morning I hold the phone to Levi's ear for a few minutes. He becomes very still and listens hard. He never says anything in reply but always smiles in a knowing way. He is very aware that his daddy is on the other end and it brings forth a lot of emotion for us both. 

Some days are harder than others. 

2 comments:

Charlotte | Life's a Charm! said...

Hello Kayla,

I have to admit that i was teary-eyed reading this. I am army wife myself, but when my hubby and I met, his deployment days were over and he was nearing his retirement, so i never got to experience him being deployed and me being left behind to wait.

But I feel for you, and other wives like you. I feel sorry for your husband's absence in a part of your son's growing days.

I hope for more phone calls from your hubby, for his safety, and for more power to you and your family in coping your hubby's deployment.

Take care.

Your friend in blog,
Charlotte

Charlyn said...

I could tell it was a harder day for you. I wish I could take the pain away from you, but we all know that is not possible. I want you to know you are doing so well! I'm so proud of you, my strong young lady. I sometimes have to pinch myself and remember that you aren't my little girl any more. You are a fully grown woman, and a mommy yourself. With that role come so many challenges and emotions and joys. I'm glad I get to be nearby to watch as you go through life. I am always here for you, and my arms are always ready for hugs! xo